Chocolate Cream Pie
- Pastry for single-crust 9-inch pie
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup European or Dutch-process cocoa
- 10-3/4 teaspoons Equal® for Recipes
or 36 packets Equal® sweetener
or 1-1/2 cups Equal® Spoonful™
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups skim milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 tablespoons thawed frozen light whipped topping
Equal® sweetener can be substituted with other sweetener products. Nutrition contents might be different from those listed below.
Yield: Makes 8 servings.
- Roll pastry on lightly floured surface into circle 1 inch larger than inverted 9-inch pie pan. Ease pastry into pan; trim and flute edge. Pierce bottom and side of pastry with fork. Bake in preheated 425oF oven until crust is browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- Combine cornstarch, cocoa, Equal® and salt in medium saucepan; stir in milk. Heat to boiling over medium-high heat, whisking constantly. Boil until thickened, about 1 minute.
- Beat eggs and egg whites in small bowl; whisk about 1 cup chocolate mixture into eggs. Whisk egg mixture into chocolate mixture in saucepan. Cook over very low heat, whisking constantly, 30 to 60 seconds. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- Spread hot filling in baked crust; refrigerate until chilled and set, about 6 hours. Cut into wedges and place on serving plates; garnish each serving with dollop of whipped topping, if desired.
|amount per serving|
|| 7 g|
|| 7 g|
|| 174 mg|
||1/2 milk, 1 bread, 1-1/2 fat
|50% calorie reduction from traditional recipe
Source: With permission from Merisant/Equal Company. Equal® sweetener is a registered trademark of the Merisant Company.