Caribbean Pink Beans
Try this new way to get more beans into your diet. These are prepared without lard or other fat.
- 1 pound pink beans
- 10 cups water
- 2 medium plantains, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 1 small red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- Rinse and pick through the beans. Put the beans in a large pot and add 10 cups of water. Place the pot in the refrigerator and allow the beans to soak overnight.
- Cook the beans until they are soft. Add more water as needed while the beans are cooking.
- Add the plantains, tomato, pepper, onion, garlic, and salt. Continue cooking at low heat until the plantains are soft.
Option: Serve with rice.
Yield: 16 servings. Serving size=1/2 cup