Famous Oatmeal Cookies
Quaker® Oats products can be substituted with any other oats cereal products. Nutrition contents might be different from those listed below. Listing of any brand name products in this recipe does not represent an endorsement by Lifeclinic.
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
ABOUT 5 DOZEN
- Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, beat brown sugar, shortening and granulated sugar until creamy. Add egg, water and vanilla; beat well. Add combined oats, flour, salt and baking soda; mix well.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 11 to 13 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.
2 cookies provide:
|amount per serving|
|Calories From Fat
|| 45 |
|| 1.5 g|
|| 25 mg|
|| 1 g
VARIATION: Add 1 cup of any one or a combination of any of the following ingredients to basic cookie dough: raisins, chopped nuts, chocolate chips or shredded coconut.
LARGE COOKIES: Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 15 to 17 minutes. ABOUT 2-1/2 DOZEN
BAR COOKIES: Press dough onto bottom of ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered.
HIGH ALTITUDE ADJUSTMENT: Increase flour to 1-1/4 cups and bake as directed.
Source: With permission from Quaker Oats Company. Quaker® Oats is a registered trademark of the Quaker Oats Company.