Peach Almond Upside Down Cake
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) light peaches in fruit juice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 5-1/2 teaspoons Equal® for Recipes
or 18 packets Equal® sweetener
or 3/4 cup Equal® Spoonful
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Fruit Topping (recipe follows)
Equal® sweetener can be substituted with other sweetener products. Nutrition contents might be different from those listed below.
Yield: Makes 8 servings.
- Cut peach slices into thirds; arrange in bottom of lightly greased 8-inch cake pan.
- Mix applesauce, Equal® , egg and vanilla until smooth in medium bowl. Mix in combined cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Pour batter over peach slices in pan.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven until cake is browned and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Invert cake immediately onto serving plate. Spread Fruit Topping over warm cake and sprinkle with almonds. Serve warm.
- 3 tablespoons light apricot preserves with NutraSweet® brand sweetener
or apricot spreadable fruit
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1-3/4 teaspoons Equal® for Recipes
or 6 packets Equal® sweetener
or 1/4 cup Equal® Spoonful
- 1/4 teaspoon maple extract
- Mix preserves, lemon juice, and cornstarch in small saucepan; heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in Equal® and maple extract.
|amount per serving|
|| 3 g|
|| 2 g|
|| 193 mg|
||1 bread, 1/2 fruit
|68% calorie reduction from traditional recipe
Source: With permission from Merisant/Equal Company. Equal® sweetener is a registered trademark of the Merisant Company.