Snacks are an important part of the meal plan for people with diabetes because they help keep blood glucose levels as close to normal as possible. But they can pose a risk if they contain too many calories, carbohydrates or fat. Here are some fresh ideas for your snacks:
- Alfalfa sprouts dipped in taco sauce
- Cucumber slices dipped in lemon juice and then in chili powder
- Cucumber slices marinated in rice vinegar or in a mixture of red wine vinegar, freshly ground pepper, and minced fresh dill
- Use lettuce or spinach as a wrapper for a mixture of chopped cucumber, minced shallots, and minced pimiento moistened with a little balsamic vinegar
- Shred green and red cabbage, and sprinkle with balsamic vinegar, caraway seed and chopped parsley
Because of their low carbohydrate and calorie count, these can be eaten in just about unlimited quantities.
Lifestyle - Diet |
Source: The Joslin Diabetes Gourmet Cookbook, p. 372. Copyright 1993 by Bonnie Sanders Polin, Frances Towner Giedt and Joslin Diabetes Center. Published by Bantam Books, a division of Random House, Inc.